Sunday, February 26, 2012

I run because

I saw this on Facebook a while ago and loved it because it's true. At the end of every run I didn't think I could do, I spend at least the last mile thanking my Father in Heaven for the ability to run. For a healthy, fairly strong body and for a strong desire to run. I had no idea then how much I would relate to this quote now.
   Very recently my cousin's daughter, Callie, was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) Type 2. SMA is a degenerative genetic disease and the number 1 genetic killer of infants and young children. Some info can be found here, or here. There is currently no cure and no treatment. But researchers feel that they are getting very close to finding treatments.
  So as a runner, the only way I know to help "fix" big problems is to google a run that is dedicated to raising money for the cause. Because SMA is something most people never hear about until their child or a child they love is diagnosed, there aren't really many races dedicated to helping with this specific disease. There are a few "Walk N Rolls" that raise a little money here and there and look like they would be beneficial for families to attend. But, as I was researching, I found The Gwendolyn Strong Foundation. This is a non profit organization that allows you to Join Team GSF, from wherever you are, doing whatever active thing you choose to do to help raise money for SMA research and programs. Moving your body so that one day kids with SMA can too.
  So the point here is that I am going to run a marathon in honor of Callie, and her parents, who I love very much and who are at the beginning of a new journey in their lives. The race I want to do is in October and unfortunately registration doesn't open until June 1st so I won't be sharing the exact race I'm doing until I am actually registered for it. If for some reason I can't get into the race I've chosen I will just go to my back up race and announce that one. This will be my very first attempt at running a full marathon, so I was a little picky about which one I'm choosing. I'm scared to death about making this attempt so public, but it's for a good cause and so a little public humiliation can be tolerated :) I will be updating my blog, Facebook and Twitter accounts with what I'm doing in training, how it is going, and info and results on races I do working up to the big race. Parker is almost 8 months now and so I'm working on getting my mileage back up, but I don't know this will be a year of exceptional times for me. My intention with this isn't to PR on any race distance but to finish each one strong, and to give others an opportunity to help fight SMA on behalf of Callie.
  My fundraising page is here -just set up yesterday and ready to accept donations between now and the big 26.2 (and a little after too, I think). I am asking for you to help me share my cause, donate money, help spread awareness about SMA, and if you're local you can come share some mileage with me! The goal is to raise $2000.00 by the day of my race this fall. Please share this blog or my fundraising page with people who you think can, want to and are willing to help. Aimee, Callie's mom, and my dear friend, is also blogging about their journey here, if you want to keep up with them.

So for this weekend my long run was 8 miles and my first actual race will be a 5k March 10th. Any suggestions that anyone has on how to make this a successful effort would be appreciated. Thank you, in advance, for all that you are helping us do to fight SMA.

No comments:

Post a Comment